Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Scrappy Inspiration

We sewing people are crazy aren't we? As I said before, I don't like a cluttered or mixed up look. I'm the matchy-matchy queen. In fact, I actually hate the term "matchy-matchy" because it suggests that there is something wrong with having everything match perfectly the way it's supposed to. [ahem] Anyway. I saw this dress in a catalog.

Not my thing, right? Definitely not my thing, but for some reason, as soon as I saw it I thought, "I could do that! I have all those scraps..." Yes, that's it, isn't it? Something to do with some of those scraps to justify keeping scraps. I was going to maybe make a quilt out of them "someday" but a dress would be faster.

The dress above is knit and most of my scraps are quilting cotton and nothing that really "goes together" like some of the pieces in the catalog dress but... well, I'm not as certain anymore. My inspiration is fading. I must be crazy to even think it. Here are just a few of my scraps, ranging in size from narrow strips to nearly half a yard.

Here's another scrap dress idea. Simple but crazy. And another. That one is a child's skirt but it could easily scale up. Oh, and here's a whole collection of patchwork skirts.

So what do you think? Is there any potential in my scrap collection and how crazy am I to be thinking of going in this direction?

2 comments:

  1. I like the dress, but I think I'd feel self-conscious wearing it . . . I think I prefer clothing items with, say, one pieced panel or with only two or three different fabrics. Something that's unique and quirky but not super busy. I didn't like the '70s scrappy patchwork skirts the first time they came around, and I still don't. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, same here. I like it but I'm afraid I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it.

      Delete