Tuesday, April 23, 2019

This 'n' That

First of all I'll get this nasty business out of the way. The spambots have found me. Well... it's only been about one a day and I haven't had one for several days but this common problem angers me way more than it should. To me it feels exactly like someone came to my actual, physical house and put a giant poster on my front porch advertising a used car dealer or something else especially sleazy. Spam in the comments feels the same - exactly! It angers and offends me. I could do things like use a CAPTCHA and ban anonymous comments but I get so few comments I hate to discourage commenters in any way so as long as it doesn't get any worse I won't do that but I really really really really hate spambots to the point that I fantasize about committing acts of physical violence against the their human owners.

And now to the sewing...

I bought some 60 inch wide cotton fabric for Vogue 9106 and I was so excited about trying it out for the first time but then I discovered that I do not have a zipper the right color and they are sold out everywhere! I put my email in at one online store to be notified when they are in stock again but who knows how long that will be. Now that I've seen the actual pieces of this pattern I kind of think I could make it out of 44 inch wide fabric. I just need to figure out how much I would need. A lot.

So I'm in between projects and I don't know what I want to make next. I like Tasha's tradition of birthday dresses and mine is just a little over a week away but I don't know. I think the smart thing to do would be to continue making stuff for the granddaughter and to "fix" some of the things I've been putting off fixing because making new things is more fun. My closet is full. I mean FULL! Overstuffed! I really don't think I could stuff a single thing more in it. Time to make a few more sacrifices I suppose but it's so hard when you honestly love everything. The old "if you haven't worn it in a year" rule doesn't work for me. What an evil, mean-spirited rule!

I still don't have any takers on my swap offer. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about those. I have never sold anything on eBay before and I'm hugely cowardly about it. I don't know. Maybe I'll just keep it all, make a dress for myself (V9106 maybe?) and use the rest to make gifts. (tote bags? throw pillows?) That's IF I don't get any swap offers. That's still open for now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn! Spam comments are the absolute worst. I'm lucky - I pay for my blog's hosting, so can use things called plugins to delete spam comments before I even see them. Hopefully you don't get any more spam!

    Happy early birthday :) birthday dresses are the absolute best. But not having the right zipper is a bummer! When I was in that scenario, I scoured the internet high and low. I forget where I got the zipper from, but I looked on eBay, Etsy, Amazon, Wawak.com, Fabric.com, and maybe a few other sites I can't remember. And found the perfect zipper :) either on Etsy or Amazon. Good luck!

    That swap offer is tempting, but I have to pack up my fabrics and move pretty soon; no time to find a good offer. If I have money after the move, maybe I can buy the wax print off you - no eBay needed! But no guarantees, as I am facing a months of being out of work and therefore broke. :/ That wax print is divine, in any other time I would have snapped it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for zippers at Wawak.com Fabric.com Joann fabrics (online) and CreateForLess.com. I hadn't thought of Etsy. I will look there.

      I would sell a piece of the wax print fabric to you if you really want it but honestly, now that I've started thinking in terms of gifts I'm pretty sure I could use all or most of it myself.

      Delete