Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A Perfect Storm of Poor Decisions

UPDATE: THIS OFFER IS CLOSED. I didn't get any takers, which doesn't surprise me since I think only two or three people ever read this blog but that's okay. I have thought about it and I will use some of it to make gifts, possibly mother/daughter dresses for my daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

* * * * * *

This might be long but stay with me. I have something to trade but I'm going to tell you my story first.

My first poor decision was to try to recreate a look instead of moving on to something new. I love my kitchen curtains - yellow with a blue paisley-ish floral - but they're too short (and too few) for the windows in the new house so for months I've been searching in vain for a similar fabric.

My second poor decision was to make a desperation purchase. I found a Dutch wax print on Etsy that is actually not at all similar to what I was looking for but it has a yellow background and blue leaves and flowers. The yellow was too bold and the blue too dark but I was desperate and tired of searching and was sure I was never going to find what I really wanted. Well, it turned out that it's not yellow and blue; it's orange and black with just a little bit of blue. Now I know the colors you see on your monitor are not always accurate but the description on Etsy said the background was yellow so I trusted that but it is as orange as orange can be.

My third poor decision was actually not so much a poor decision as a plain old mistake. The windows are not quite as big as I thought they were so I ordered too much fabric. I bought three - yes, THREE - whole six yard pieces of Dutch wax print fabric and I really only needed two.

At first I thought I would just live with my mistake and make curtains but they are so the wrong color and I really want something more serene. I have found another, totally different, fabric that I'm going to use for the curtains. So what am I going to do with three whole pieces of Dutch wax fabric? Hopefully, I'm going to trade two of them to two of you lovely sewing people.

Here's the fabric:

If you are interested and have something you would like to trade either comment with a description and a link to your picture or send me an email to strngwoodlndcreature@gmail.com - It doesn't necessarily have to be six yards or a Dutch wax print. If I can make a dress with it - 3 1/2 to 4 yards - I will be satisfied. I prefer 100% cotton but I have pretty broad tastes as far as color and print. You can look at some of my past blog posts to get an idea of what I like.

Just to be clear, this is NOT first come, first served. It's show me what you've got and I'll decide. I will wait at least a month before deciding, possibly longer. I'm not a very popular blogger so I don't expect to get many offers but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Anyway, once we agree to a trade we can work out the details and exchange snail mail addresses via email and I will ship as soon as I have your address.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Lynn!! Your house must be drowning in wax print!!!! I've actually fondled this print but had the usual problem of my favorite orangey yellow fighting with my skin tone :((

    If you don't find trades...what about a giant bedspread? You'll note I say bedspread and not quilt, because in my mind this should take an hour 😂 sew all those yards together lengthwise...boom. Done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is definitely drowning in fabric but this and one more piece are the only wax prints right now.

      I actually had thought about a bedspread but I if I don't get any trade offers I might try to sell it on eBay.

      Delete
    2. Come to think of it, I have two more pieces of wax print besides the ones in this post. I think. :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete