Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Wait! What? It's 2019?

A very belated Happy New Year to everyone. I have been sewing and I have one new thing that I want to show off but I haven't got around to photographing it yet so, first a review of 2018 sewing. I set a goal (not a resolution) to sew at least 12 things using fabric that's been in my stash for at least two years and to use at least four of my unused patterns. If I count the garment that I photographed but never blogged and the one I still need to photograph that's 11 for the fabric goal. And the pattern goal? Um... one. But I'm not really bothered that I didn't meet my goals. I don't really like sewing according to a long term plan. I like sewing whatever I'm in the mood to sew. But it did make me think about what I was sewing and using up older stash so I guess that's a good thing?

And about that stash. My mother never built up a huge stash so the idea of having a stash wasn't something I grew up with and the more fabric I acquire the more guilty I feel about it. But you know, I've been thinking. I'm lucky in that I can afford to buy lots of fabric. That will likely change sometime in the next ten years when we will have to start living on Social Security and our tiny retirement savings. Buying fabric will become a rare treat and I will be glad I built up a large stash. So I'm going to buy, buy, buy, and try not to feel guilty about it.

I am going to try to keep sewing some of the older stash and finally use some of those impulsively purchased patterns. But no set numbers this time. Just mood-based sewing.

* * * * *

I was going to post a favorites of 2018 review but looking back at what I've sewn I really can't. Everything I sewed and blogged about is a favorite. So I have decided to limit my 2018 favorites "list" to three things I sewed for other people.

First, this dress. I love these colors.

I think she liked it. She seemed happy about it when I gave it to her.

I sewed this adorable little dress back in May. (Sorry for the blurred face but you know how it is.)

She loves it and wore it a lot last summer. (I know... cowboy boots with a dress? But what can I say; we live in Oklahoma.)

And the kitten dress.

I know she has worn it at least once, probably more than that. She always seems to like what I make for her. I like it because of the kitten fabric (of course) and the pattern, and especially those awesome pockets.

Well that was three but I have one more. Call it an "honorable mention"? It's in the last post of 2018, the jacket I made for my husband and I like it because he likes it. It's not my best sewing but it feels like a big accomplishment.

2 comments:

  1. Your little girl dresses are wonderful, and actually I like the idea of wearing them with cowboy boots - I was watching a very chic little girl in a park the other day - her boots had pink tops to match her parka and there seemed to be some kind of tulle skirt in-between - my clothes are so dull in comparison!

    ceci

    ReplyDelete