Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Late Resolutions... No Wait, Let's Not Call Them That

I don't make New Year's Resolutions so I didn't even think about it at the time everyone else was making their resolutions but now I have thought of two that I want to try. Except, I think I just want to call them goals, not resolutions.

#1. At least once a month I will sew a fabric that I have had in the stash for two years or longer. I decided to make this a goal because in 2017, especially the second half of the year, I kept finding "shiny" new fabrics that I absolutely had to buy and sew right away. This one should actually be pretty easy though.

#2. I will use at least four patterns that I already own and have not used. What, only four? Yes, only four. This one will be the more difficult of my two goals. I have about half a dozen patterns that I use over and over again and some fairly large number of patterns that I have not used at all, the oldest of which I bought in the 1980s. I like finding new patterns but making myself use them for the first time is hard.

* * * * *

Here is the first of my Goal #1 makes. I have had this fabric for a fairly long time, maybe as long as ten years.

I am a woman of varying moods. Sometimes I want to look like I just graduated from clown college; other times I'm in the mood for a sweet little print in sensible colors.

For a long time I was indecisive about what pattern to use but I finally decided to go with my original plan which was New Look 6078. That's one of my TNT patterns but it has been quite a while since I last made one.

I don't like the front band on this pattern so I always make it with a standard front placket from a different pattern or a simple self facing as I have done here. I also usually leave off the Peter Pan collar. Something was not quite right this time. The fit seems looser than my earlier versions and it is definitely not because there's less of me. But I like it. It's a good, basic top for my more "sensible" moods.

Stashbusting goal: 1/12

2 comments: