Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Two Fabrics

I wasn't going to post about these fabrics until I made the tunics but I'm hoping to get some feedback, about the second of them especially, so here goes. These are both from the same Etsy shop that I mentioned before.

First, I have washed this one but not ironed it so it looks a little wrinkly. I suspect that it's going to be one of those "wrinkles are a feature not a bug" fabrics anyway.

I love the colors in this one. Naturally, they don't look quite as deep and rich as they do in person. This is going to be another McCall's 9065. This is bold but actually a pretty typical print for me.

And now it's Crazy Time. I wanted something a little crazy and "out there" so after days of looking and thinking and seeing my first choice (which actually, in retrospect, wasn't especially out there) sell out, I chose this. (I think my other half is going to have words about this. He's not really into crazy.)

From top to bottom in the photo is nearly the entire width of the fabric. It's oriented differently than I expected but that doesn't change my plans. My original plan to was to center one of the shapes - I don't know what to call them, wavy columns? - vertically on the tunic but which color, the pink or the red and teal? Then I thought, maybe I don't want to center that shape after all but rather have the zig-zag space between them run down the center, more or less, and the more I think about it the more I'm liking this idea.

I'm excited about this fabric and was going to sew it right away but now I'm thinking it might be best step back and let it simmer for a few weeks. Looking forward to your thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Definitely centre the crazy fabric but I would make the back of your garment in a solid colour like red or navy. I have a great shift dress with a patterned front section and then the back and short sleeves are in navy scuba (or ponte would do it) and it is smart but so comfortable to wear. There are not any pattern matching clashes and the pattern can then sing on its own without competing with even crazier/unwanted seam patterns. Good Luck! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sensible suggestion. I'll keep it in mind but sensible is really not my style. :-) I don't want to risk lowering the level of crazy. :-D

      Delete
  2. that fabric is MIND BLOWING! I like your zig zag down the center call...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came back. You could also drive hubby REALLY crazy and create a chevron of wavy columns and zigzags with a CF seam. Depends on how many words you want him to have with you 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Husbands are so staid when it comes to clothes. Overall he's actually pretty awesome though.

      Delete