Thursday, October 9, 2014

Showing Off the Sewing, Worthy or Not

For a couple of weeks I was feeling uninspired and didn't know what I wanted to sew so I decided it would be a good time to sew something boring and practical: a denim skirt. I know you can't see the whole skirt - not a very good way to show it off - but in the pictures it looked a lot longer than it actually is so I cropped off the bottom of the picture. It's actually about mid-calf length. (I would rather have taken these outside because the flash does me no favors but the neighbors are putting a new roof on their house and I could just imagine them saying, "What's that crazy lady doing over there taking pictures of herself?") Anyway, here it is:

I made the blouse about three or four years ago. It's a Kwik Sew 3511. I never go tucked in because that emphasizes the granny gut. (which I've had all my life and I hate it now as much as ever but somehow it is a bit of a relief to be old enough to refer to it as a "granny gut") I really like the way the whole outfit looks.

Here's a detail pic. (The color of the denim is more accurate in the first picture.) I'm not happy with the buttons but I wanted to get it done and not go on a long frustrating search for "exactly the right buttons" so I just used a couple of leftover 5/8 inch shirt buttons I had, thinking, "I can always replace them with some nice ones later," but I probably won't bother.

And the pocket with the hidden opening. I'm always very afraid to show the insides of anything I sew. This is really a leap for me so be kind. (Yes, those are hand stitched buttonholes. Because I can. And it's fun.) (I did not make the quilt.)

And finally, a less "dressed up" look with the skirt and a top I made a couple of months ago. I didn't show off the top when I first made it because I felt like it was a FAIL. The fabric, a cotton/rayon blend knit, is sort of twisty and it made the hem uneven, but I sort of like it anyway.

I am now back in a sewing mood and want to make 10 things at once. I just finished a blouse this morning. It has long sleeves so I'm going to wait until the temperature drops a little before wearing/showing off that one. I am getting ready to start a rain poncho, which I will need soon. After that more long sleeved shirts, I think. I have some plaids that I am eager to get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment