Thursday, July 31, 2014

A New Favorite

It seems like I always start these posts apologizing for the photo. This one isn't bad but I wish it was better. The one that would have been the best was out of focus. In this one the breeze is blowing the skirt around and it's a little far away to see details but other than that I guess it's okay.

This is what they call a Frankenpattern - bodice from one pattern, skirt from another. I keep making this same basic shape of dress (which is probably why all the sewing bloggers ignore me) but these are the dresses that I wear the most so it makes sense to sew more of them instead of something fashionable that I wouldn't wear as often. Overall, I'm very happy with it. It has a side zipper and it's one of my all time worst zippers but I never re-do zippers because I figure there's a one percent chance it will be any better after the second try and a 50-50 chance it will be worse.

The buttons are from this bag o' buttons. This bag had a lot of one of a kind and two of a kind buttons and it turned out that there was only one of the buttons I originally had in mind to use and only two of my second choice. The only ones of which there were three were the ugliest ones, so I pouted for a while and thought about buying buttons but I finally decided to just use the ugly buttons. I quickly got used to them and now they don't seem so bad.

As I was starting on the buttonholes I realized that, since there's a side zipper, these buttons don't actually need to be functional but it was too late and it's okay. For some reason, I like that they're real even though they don't need to be.

The fabric is lightweight and crisp with a nice tight weave, which I find to always be the case with batik fabrics. I like batik prints but it's the fabric itself that I love and I wish I could find traditional florals and fun novelty prints printed on the same kind of fabric but that seems to be very rare.

So, bottom line, I love this dress. It couldn't be more perfect for hot summer days. If we ever get any of those again.

No comments:

Post a Comment