Thursday, June 14, 2018

Must Have Ladybugs!

You might remember late last summer I accidentally destroyed my old ladybug dress and used the remains to make a dress for the granddaughter. (It was big on her then but she has grown into it and it's still one of her favorites.) I immediately started looking for ladybug fabric to make a new and better ladybug dress for myself and I eventually found this:

And made this:

It's a Vogue 8789 but without the extra full skirt (as usual) and with pockets. (of course) I could point out about half a dozen things wrong with it but I'm not going to because I actually love it. It's imperfectly perfect.

As I have discovered only fairly recently* rick-rack is somewhat controversial but I like it and I'm not ashamed to use it. This is actually not what I started out to do though. I was going to wind two colors, yellow and white, together like this...

... but the rick-rack was not cooperating. It got extremely twisty. Funny, I don't remember it being that difficult before when I did it. It was a little twisty but not so bad. Anyway, after several inches I decided this wasn't going to work and gave up and used just yellow. As I was sewing it I questioned my decision: "Should I have kept trying? Should I have used white instead? Wait! I could have used white eyelet instead of rick-rack!" But as soon as it was done I was completely satisfied with it just the way it is.

I finished it a little over a week ago and today I'm wearing it for the second time. It's a cool, fun everyday dress and I am going to love it to death.

(*When you're my age anything up to 10 years ago is "fairly recent".)

6 comments:

  1. Two color rick rack is amazing and I remember my grandma using it on stuff. I also remember her somehow being able to crochet a lace edging ON rick-rack, using a very tiny steel hook and thin thread.

    I like rick-rack because it reminds me of my grandmothers and also some of the clothes I had when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crochet edging on rick-rack sounds amazing.

      Delete
  2. The rick-rack reminds me of my grandmother, she made a lot of our clothes and of course rick-rack was often a feature. That's a nice dress too, somehow it works with the vivid pattern of the cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel like some fabrics just need rick-rack.

      Delete
  3. The ladybird fabric is amazing! What a great dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of a thing for ladybugs. :-)

      Delete