Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Controversial Question

Oh, I hope it's controversial because, you know, comments. On this week's NCIS:Los Angeles (CBS, Monday night) Beale was wearing what he called a "tactical work kilt." Of course you know I had to Google that and I found Utilikilts. Their version is similar to, but not exactly like the one on NCIS:LA. Expensive but of course, we can sew, so if our guys want kilts we can make them.

Personally, I am rather traditional about some things and the idea of guys wearing skirts - okay, okay, kilts - makes me giggle a little bit but I can actually sympathize with the desire to wear one. Skirts are simply more comfortable than pants and, without being too indelicate about the matter, I can see how for guys they would be even more of an advantage over pants. And, historically, before pants were invented everyone wore some kind of robe, dress or skirt-like garment. (But guys, if you must wear a kilt, please... boxers.)

So, questions: What would you do if your husband wanted a kilt? If you're single how would you feel if a guy showed up for a date wearing a kilt? And guys, if there are any out there reading this, would you wear one, not as a gag but seriously? Also, where do you live? I'm curious to see if opinion varies by location.

4 comments:

  1. Here in the Pacific Northwest, wearing a kilt is a sure sign of a hipster, and is usually accompanied by facial hair and piercings (I've seen a few of these guys in Portland). So I would probably be a bit skeptical if a date showed up wearing one, since I don't have a lot of patience for hipsters. But if he just wore it because he liked it--take that, gender norms!--that would be a big plus in my book. My honey had one as a child (his mom was Scottish and he spent a lot of time in Scotland), but hates them now because of the American fetishization of all things Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's interesting. I don't actually know anything about hipsters, just a vague impression of people who think it's cool to like things other people consider not cool, but it make sense that they would wear kilts.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete