Monday, November 2, 2015

From the Netherlands For Africa

Vlisco, a company located in a small town in the Netherlands, has been making fabrics for sale to Africa for 170 years. It really has a very interesting history. I like the way the African women assign their own names and meanings to the designs.

These fabric designs are quite different from those sold as "African" fabrics here in the U.S. This fan print appeals to me.

And this one. Very interesting. I can more easily imagine it in a quilt than a garment.

I found a website where you can buy some of the Vlisco fabrics but they are expensive. Sadly, I don't think I will be buying any.

(Sorry, I can't get the images to fit no matter what size I choose but I'm just going to leave them. I know I could download them, resize them and then upload them but I'm not going to bother this time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment