Wednesday, March 18, 2020

One Thing Postponed, One Thing Completed

I really hate not finishing things. I hate quitting in the middle of things. But sometimes it's the best thing to do. Shortly after Christmas I started making a coat. I was excited about it and it wasn't really difficult but for some reason, I don't know why, I couldn't make myself work on it for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, two or three days a week at most, and there were some weeks I didn't work on it at all. Needless to say that is not the way to get things done.

I did finally get it done to the point I could try it on, the outer part and the lining separately. It's going to fit fine other than I can't move my arms. I don't know what to do about it and by that time it was the middle of February and I realized that by the time I got it finished - if I could fix the problem and finish it - it would be too warm to wear it. So I decided to put it away until this fall and move on to something else.

After that experience I wanted a sure thing and something happy. So I got out this piece of lovely pink striped shirting and New Look 6963 and made this:

It's view C. I added three inches to the length, for no particular reason. The sleeves are from another pattern. I also added a fake pocket. I normally despise fake pockets but I thought it might make a nice accent and I have no need for a pocket in that location.

I had some small green buttons that I thought would go perfectly with it. I hesitated to use them because I was sure I bought them for some specific purpose but I couldn't remember what. I finally decided it didn't matter and used them and I'm glad I did.

I am extremely pleased with it. It's pretty and cheerful and very comfortable. The fabric has a slight stretch.

Since finishing that I have made a pair of stretch pants (trousers) for myself that I am somewhat less pleased with but one can always use another pair of comfy stretch pants for at home. Then I made leggings for the granddaughter and I'm seriously worried that she might outgrow them before I can get them to her or that the weather will be too warm for leggings and in that case she will definitely outgrow them before it turns cool again in the fall. Oh well, they were quick to make so not much loss of time. Maybe she can give them to one of her smaller cousins. (All her cousins on our side of the family are boys but she has several girl cousins on her mom's side)

So that's my sewing so far this year. Usually by this time of year I'm very excited to sew dresses but so far this year I'm not feeling it, even though we have had some lovely spring-like days already. I have been distracted by other things. In my personal life they have been all good things, which are much easier to be distracted by. For other things, the bad things the world is throwing at us, sewing is the distraction so I'll get back to that when I run out of other good distractions.

Stay safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment