Monday, April 25, 2016

Neue Mode 23347 Minus Sleeves... Oops, Plus Other Sleeves

I hate Neue Mode patterns. First of all, I hate that they do not include seam allowances. Yeah, I know, some sewists find advantages to it, like you get to decide how big of a seam allowance you want - for example, 3/8 instead of 5/8 or whatever, but I'm used to patterns that have seam allowances. So I'm spoiled. I am what I am. They also do not come with instructions, which generally isn't a problem for me but I like to have them "just in case."

Other than that, I suppose Neue Mode 23347 isn't really bad. It was easy enough but as I was cutting it out I kept thinking, "Why did I even buy this pattern; it's going to turn out to be just this shapeless, sack-like thing." And honestly I really don't remember why I bought it but I suppose it didn't turn out terrible.

My original intention was to make it sleeveless but that didn't work out. The pattern doesn't show a sleeveless version and I could see from looking at the pieces that the armholes would have been huge. I cut them a lot smaller but they were still indecent. The really disappointing thing was not that I didn't get to have a sleeveless tunic but that, other than being too big, they were the first perfect armholes I have ever made - no twisting, no puckering. [sigh]

I didn't have enough fabric left over for sleeves but fortunately I was able get more. I made them loose for comfort. I also added pockets because, Must Have Pockets! I'm actually not sure yet how I feel about it. I need to live with it for a while but it's comfortable and I think I'm going to be okay with it.

And now on to the leggings.

These are McCall's 6173 which is sized totally wrong. If I had made them exactly according the pattern, in my normal size, they would have fit like palazzo pants. Seriously. Okay maybe not that bad but definitely like loose fitting trousers. I took them in about two inches at the inseam and they're still too loose. They're also too long but that's my fault. I was afraid of making them too short.

I can fix them easily enough but I was impatient to move on to the next thing so I'm going to wear and wash them a few times and see what happens and then maybe I'll fix them or maybe I'll just pretend it's a deliberate fashion statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment